Chinese Teahouse Shift Lead
The Tao of Tea is seeking a full-time teahouse staff to work at one of Portland’s greatest attractions, the Lan Su Chinese Garden. Please read the entire job posting, including availability requirements and how to apply as incomplete applications will not be considered. This position will remain open until filled.
Reports to: Chinese Teahouse Manager
Purpose of Position: Provide a high level of customer service to visitors to the teahouse by serving on the floor, working in the kitchen, and selling retail. Monitor and improve flow of service, efficiency, and organization. Report on a daily/shift basis to Teahouse Manager.
Position Scope: This is a very hands-on, full-time position, primarily involving regular serving shifts, as well as some managerial oversight. Interacting with coworkers, visitors, Garden members, Garden staff, and Garden volunteers in a positive and educated way creates good experiences for all.
Hours: Varies with the season. Not less than 30 hours a week in the off-season and not to exceed 10 hours a day / 40 hours a week, except under special circumstances such as evening events. Must be available to work on summer-season evenings (March 15 – October 31, until 8:00 pm), on weekends, on holidays, and for after-hours events. The Garden is closed only a few days a year.
- Become fully knowledgeable about the extensive menu, particularly the wide variety of teas and tea preparations.
- Become able to represent both The Tao of Tea and the Lan Su Chinese Garden, providing visitors with accurate information about both.
- Follow daily financial procedures, including balancing the cash drawer with cash register report and maintaining proper cash and supply levels.
- Assist in training new employees.
- Demonstrate skillful manner of solving customer issues.
- Demonstrate ability to address safety and sanitation concerns.
- Attend to and assign side-work to keep the teahouse clean and orderly at all times.
- Ensure that the teahouse is stocked for the oncoming shift.
- Assist the Teahouse Manager in running a delightful teahouse environment.
Experience & Expectations
- Enthusiastic about tea.
- Experience with POS system.
- Food handlers permit and OLCC certification.
- Two-years restaurant experience.
- Able to participate in special events as needed.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Able to multi-task.
- Able to carry heavy trays.
- Able to lift up to 30lbs.
- Able to maintain cleanliness and organization of teahouse, including kitchen and retail.
Email a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and indicating your interest in this position, along with a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls and drop-ins. Receipt of application materials will be acknowledged. Applications accepted until position is filled.